Thank
you! Thank you! Thank you!
I want to thank each and every
one of you for attending your child’s conference this week. It was so nice to
be able to share with you how your child is doing in class. The students
enjoyed sharing their Leadership Notebooks and work samples too! I also want to
thank you for being so generous with purchasing books for our classroom
library. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and I can’t wait to read them
to the class!
This week went by fast. We spent time working on measurement with centimeters and meters and then started working on measuring items using inches. Students have learned how to measure items with a ruler, meter stick or yard stick, and a tape measure. Using our newest strategy, Adding Up in Chunks, students are making comparisons between two different measurements. I will attach a picture of the Adding Up in Chunks strategy below. We will continue to work on measurement next week by talking about feet and yards as well as word problems using the Adding Up in Chunks strategy .
We reviewed adjectives and
created a class anchor chart. Students drew a portrait of a partner and wrote
adjectives that described that person. Then they shared with their partner.
Next week, we will describe pumpkins using adjectives and focus on retelling
some Halloween stories before beginning learning about adverbs.
Energy will be our next topic in
science. We will attend Science Lab on Tuesday and have an introduction on energy.
We will then begin to learn about the types of energy and pushes and pulls.
Thank you again for all of the
pumpkin donations. I will send most of them home with the students on Monday!
Enjoy your weekend J
Upcoming
Dates and Reminders
Monday, Oct 27th-
Picture Retakes
Thursday, Oct 30th-Domino's
Pizza Night
Friday Oct 31st-
School-wide author visit -Brian Lies!
*** FYI: Students will bring home
a measurement project on Thursday, October 30th. It will be due the
following Friday. This will serve as their homework for the week!